Recipies of Calamata
- 1GREEK SALAD (For about 4-6 servings)
• 2-3 large ripe Tomatoes
• 1 red Onion
• 1 Green Pepper
• USE PHEDRA EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL pure enough over the ingredients
• More than 10 ANGEL KALAMATA OLIVES and
• ORIGINAL GREEK FETA cheese and
• KALAMATA BALSAMIC Vinegar for 100% authentic Greek salad.
Don’t forget fresh oregano and traditional baked bread…
- 2ANGEL Wrinckled Olives - Elies Thrubes
• 5 kilos wrinckled ANGEL olives
• 1 kilo ANGEL coarse salt
• 1 cup of ANGEL oregano
• 80 grams of PHEDRA extra virgin olive oil
Method: Select good quality black olives which are sound and not bruised. Salt them well and place them into a cloth sack. Place a heavy object on top of the olives so that the raw salt will puncture the olives drawing out their juices and causing them to shrivel. When the olives have stopped extracting their juices (around approximately 25-30 days) remove from the sack and mix them with the oil to keep them moist and shiny and the oregano.
- 3ANGEL Vinegared Olives - Elies Xydates
• 5 kilos ANGEL black Kalamata olives
• 300 grams of ANGEL coarse salt
• 200 grams vinegar
• 1.6 litres water
Method: Ensure the olives are sound and not bruised and spoiled by insects. Cut into the olives with a sharp knife on both sides taking care not to slice into the pit of the olive. Place the olives into a container filled with the water and allow to stand for 20 days. this is to draw out any bitterness. It is important to change the water everyday. After the 20th day add the salt and vinegar to the water and carefully sir the water so as to dissolve the salt and vinegar. Decant the olives into glass jars and fill each jar to the brim with the salted water ensuring that the olives are completely submerged. Leave to mature for one month before eating.
- 4ANGEL Crushed Green Olives -Ellies Prasines Tsakistes
• 5 kilos ANGEL green olives
• a small branch of ANGEL fresh oregano
• 3 lemons (sliced)
• 1.6 litres water
• 300 grams of ANGEL coarse salt.
Method: Select green olives before they have ripened and crush them with a heavy object – be careful not to crush the pit. Place the crushed olives into a container filled with water, the sliced lemons and the oregano and leave to stand for four days. After this time, remove the olives and place in jars together with the lemon slices and oregano. dissolve the salt in the water, stirring until it has completely dissolved. Add the salted water to each jar allowing half and inch space below the top of the jar. fill this space with olive oil and seal each jar.
- 5Olive Bread - Serves 4
• 1 kilo wheat flour
• 2 packages dry yeast
• half a cup of PHEDRA olive oil
• 1 medium-sized onion (grated)
• 1 cup ANGEL pitted P.D.O KALAMATA olives
• 1 tbspn of dried mint
• half tspn ANGEL salt
• sesame seeds
Method: Dilute the yeast in a large bowl with 1 cup of warm water and 1 cup of flour to make it have a thick porridge like consistency. Cover with a cloth and leave for half an hour until it becomes frothy. Add all the ingredients except the pitted olives and sesame seeds and mix with about 2 cups of water. Add the water bit by bit to ensure that you don’t add too much. The dough should be too stiff to stir. Knead it well, adding flour to keep from being sticky, and when it becomes soft and elastic add the pitted black olives which can be chopped, sliced or left whole. Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with a cloth. Leave in a warm place for about 2 hours. When it has doubled in size reshape into one large loaf or several small ones, spray with cold water and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Place straight away onto an oiled baking tray and leave to rise once again for about 25-30 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven (400 degrees F/200 degrees C) for about 45 minutes until the bread is brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 6Marinated Olives
2 cups ANGEL Kalamata Olives or other Brine-Cured Black Olives
2 cups Cracked Brine-Cured Green Olives
1 cup ARETI ORGANIC Olive Oil
1/4 cup ANGEL Thyme Leaves
1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Orange Juice
6 large Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
1 tablespoon Grated Lemon Peel
1 tablespoon Grated Orange Peel
1/2 teaspoon Dried Crushed Red Pepper
1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix by hand
2. Place in a roasting pan and roast at 250 degrees for 10 minutes to help the olives infuse with the ingredients
3. Let sit at room temperature and serve
- 7Marinated Olives & Feta
Olives and feta marinated with rosemary, lemon and garlic are great served on crisp flatbread-style crackers or warm slices of crusty baguette.
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
• 1 cup ANGEL sliced pitted olives, such as Kalamata or mixed Greek
• 1/2 cup diced feta cheese, preferably reduced-fat
• 2 tablespoons PHEDRA extra-virgin olive oil
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 2 cloves garlic, sliced
• 1 teaspoon ANGEL chopped fresh rosemary
• Pinch of crushed red pepper
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Combine olives, feta, oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, rosemary, crushed red pepper and black pepper in a medium bowl.
Tips & Notes
• Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- 8Cooking dried beans
makes 4 to 6 cups (depending on the bean variety)
active time: 15 min
1. 1 lb (455 g) dried beans (approximately 2 cups, depending on the size of the beans) – soaked 12 to 24 hours with plenty of bottled spring water
2. water for cooking
3. 4 tablespoons of PHEDRA EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil
4. 2 large garlic cloves – peeled and left whole
5. 2 large ANGEL bay leaves
1. Drain the beans and place in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add enough bottled spring water to cover the beans by 2″. Bring to a boil and skim any foam that forms at the surface. Add the olive oil, garlic and bay leaves and stir well. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender. The cooking time will depend on the beans’ variety (larger ones take more time to cook), dryness and age.
2. Remove bay leaves and garlic. Either let cool in their liquid and refrigerate for up to 5 days or drain and proceed with your recipe of choice. Always reserve the cooking water; it’s very flavorful and can be used as a stock.
- 9SWEET OLIVES
But yes , the olive tree FRUIT can be turned to sweet and indeed is delicious
What we need:
• 1 kilo of ANGEL KALAMATA olives or ANGEL black without brine
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 cup water
• 4 tablespoons lime
• 10 ANGELbasil leaves
• 1 tbsp lemon
How we do it:
1. Put the olives in a bowl of water overnight .
2. In a bowl dissolve the lime with water and put through olives for 2-3 hours. Rinse thoroughly
3. In a saucepan put the sugar and water and olives and cook until thickened our sweet.
4. Finally add the lemon.
5. Allow to cool and put in jars and closeable .
- 10OLIVES MARMALADE
What we need:
• 3 cups ANGEL pitted olives
• 1 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 lemon
• 1 apple
• 1/3 cup honey
· How we do it:
1. Rinse the olives and put them in a saucepan and cover with cold water . Put the pot on psotia and just started to boil water leave for 2 minutes and drain. Rinse and repeat the same procedure 2 more times .
2. After boiling olives three times, drain and allow to cool. Wash the lemon and cut into quarters with the peel .
3. Put the sugar with 1 1/2 cup of water and lemon juice in a saucepan and boil the syrup for 6-7 minutes. The drain pressing pieces of lemon juice to make as they are.
4. Peel and chop the apple.
5. Put on a clean pot syrup , olives, chopped apple and honey .
6. Cook over low to medium heat for about 15 minutes , until the mixture starts to thicken .
7. pulper mixture in food processor .
8. Keep the jam jar in the refrigerator .